About the YMCA
The Launceston YMCA always tries to introduce new activities to provide the community of Launceston and its surrounding areas with a well balanced range of activities catering to the interest in sporting and recreational pursuits for all ages. Variety is an important factor: not everyone likes to do the same activity.
Our aim is for everyone to enjoy what they do, with no pressure and allowing people to achieve their best in any sport or activity in which they choose to participate for their enjoyment, fun and fitness.
The YMCA has a way of changing people's lives, and it doesn't seem to matter if you're young, old or somewhere in between. It affects different people in many different ways, with all kinds of different activities offered. Yet, one thing doesn't seem to change, when you go into the YMCA, you don't come out the same, you come out a little better.
The YMCA is a Christian Organisation which is open to anyone regardless of race, colour, creed, sex or social standing. The YMCA offers to the men and women, boys and girls who participate in its programs, opportunities and experience that will help them
- to develop a way of life based on the Christian faith
- to develop self-confidence, self-respect and an appreciation of their own worth as individuals.
- to develop a healthy body and mind, and to appreciate that physical fitness and mental well-being are conditions to be achieved and maintained
- to grow as responsible members of their families and citizens of their communities
- to recognise the worth of all persons and to work for understanding and good relationships between people of different races, nations and different points of view
- to develop their capabilities for leadership and to use these responsibly in their own groups and in community life.